The FAI SPI-MAG401 is a fully ATEX and IECEx certified, non-intrusive scraper pig detector which quickly and accurately detects, signals, and logs the passage of magnetic scraper at critical points along a pipeline both on land and offshore.
Key benefits of non-intrusive pig detector
- Use of the SPI-MAG401 can result in time and therefore cost savings.
- Removes any uncertainty over confirmation of scraper passage.
- Quick and easy installation using ratchet straps or stainless-steel banding.
- Minimal set up required ensuring time is not lost setting up multiple parameters.
- Versatile – can be installed on any pipeline up to 60” diameter with wall thickness up 50mm, carrying any medium and with scraper running at varying speeds.
- No locations restrictions – can be located on major barrel and magnetic sensor can be supplied on a cable up to 10m long for use with buried pipelines or where access is limited.
- Unit can be installed close to the pig receiver door, allowing for confirmation that scraper has passed isolation valves and easy pig recovery.
Events are signalled as they occur via a graphical display and high brightness LEDs positioned around the perimeter of the display.
The unit logs the time and date of up to 99 events.
Logged events can be viewed locally on the display or transmitted remotely over several optional interfaces.
The user can turn the unit ON and OFF as well as modify several settings using the single control button and intuitive menu system.
The detection capabilities vary depending on the background magnetic noise, screper speed, pipeline diameter, wall thickness and the quality of magnets fitted.
It is recommended that pigs are fitted with rare earth magnets (neodymium iron boron) to maximise magnetic signal.
||7x Alkaline DURACELL ID1300 cells
|Battery Life (Alkaline)
||160 days (LISTENING/LOW POWER MODE at +20°)
||7x Lithium SAFT LS33600 cells
|Battery Life (Lithium)
||365 days (LISTENING/LOW POWER MODE at +20°)
||+21.6VDC to +26.4VDC, <1.0W
(other options available)
|-40°C to + 85°C (-40°F to + 185°F)
|Temperature Range (Alkaline)
||-20°C to + 54°C (-40°F to + 130°F)
|Temperature Range (Lithium)
||-40°C to + 85°C (-40°F to + 185°F)
||Ex II 1 / 2 G Ex dia [ia Ga] IICT4… T6 Gb
|C Type Examination Cert No.
||TRAC 13 ATEX 0007X
|IECEx Cert No.
||IECEx TRC 12.0017X
|Weight in Aluminium
||5.2 kg (11.5lbs)
|Weight in 316L Stainless Steel
|Length (including mounting plate)
|Width (including mounting plate)
|Height (including mounting plate)
|DPDT Relay (Volt Free Contacts)
||2A @ 30VDC/0.5A @ 125 VAC
|Current Loop Output
||15.0Ma +/- 1.0Ma (LISTENING) /
19.0Ma +/- 1.0Ma (DETECTION)